Saturday, January 1, 2011

Snow Business

Text and photos: Greg

The year ended with a slam. Or, at least that's the sound I thought I heard when snow and cold creaked into the valley on icy hinges and blew the door shut on the dry season we've been having.

I must have been imagining things. Snow. Ice. Cold. None of these actually shut the door on the the important things in life, a category in which I include mountain biking. Ah, mountain biking. Frivolous? Perhaps. Self indulgent? Maybe. Captivating, compelling, and oh so satisfying? Definitely.

It was cold out and the sun was shining on the snow when Mike called and invited me to join him and a couple friends on the trails. I couldn't say no.



The other three guys were on snow bikes. Huge phat tires that float over deeper snow. But while there was nothing wrong with phat tires, under the conditions, they weren't necessary. I know, because I didn't have them.












1 comment:

  1. "...while there was nothing wrong with phat tires, under the conditions, they weren't necessary. I know, because I didn't have them."

    While technically that is true, I couldn't help but to notice that those of us with phatties crashed approximately one hell of a lot less than those without.

    Just sayin!

    P.S. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete